Sunday, December 9, 2012

"Traveling Up to Masada, Israel" by Karla Nolan

Well, my art blog is in Israel as of late.  I enjoyed going there so much, my expectations were high, and they were more than met!  My husband and I took an English speaking tour with about 18 other fellow travelers to the Dead Sea and Masada in the springtime.  Oh, it was hot and humid!  I cannot imagine what summer must be like and I'm used to hot but dry weather in Colorado during that season. 

We took a very large gondola up to the top of the mesa, where the Jews committed suicide en masse rather than lose their lives, literally and figuratively, to the Roman army.  It was either kill themselves or the women would be raped, the women and children enslaved, the men slaughtered.  I guess they felt little in the way of choice.  How horrible! 

The skies were blue and cloudy, with a bit of a haze overhanging the plains and hills below, the rocks were ochre, sandy, beige -- and the gondola was packed with other tourists and Israeli schoolchildren, ready to exit and explore Israel's past. 

"Traveling Up to Masada, Israel", 8"x6" unframed palette knife and brush oil painting on canvas, $95 includes s/h in continental U.S., click Paypal button below or write me at KarlaNolan@gmail.com for more information




No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails